Thursday, June 26, 2014

Strawberry Festival & Carlisle GM Nationals Car Show


We had so much fun these past two weekends!  Every June (it always falls on Father's Day weekend) we go to the Mattituck Strawberry Festival.  It is such a fun time, filled with rides, snacks, games, and of course STRAWBERRIES!  Tom and I went Friday night and Saturday during the day and between the two days, we had our fill of festival treats: chocolate covered strawberries, strawberry daiquiris, funnel cake, ice cream, corn dog (I had my first one ever), and sausage and peppers.  Yes we ate a lot at the festival, but between the two days, we were there a lot of hours... ok it's pretty inexcusable.  But we also watched the Strawberry Queen get crowned, went on the Ferris Wheel, played games, met a News watched the fireworks, and enjoyed all of the strawberry themed fun.





















We also bought a pint of strawberries and I made homemade strawberry pie for Father's Day.  It was super yummy!



Ingredients 


1/4 cups white sugar

1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 cups fresh strawberries
2 TBSP butter

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place one crust in a nine inch pie pan.
  2. Mix together sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Mix lightly through the berries. Pour filling into pastry lined pan, and dot fruit with butter or margarine. Cover with top crust, and cut slits in the top. Seal and flute the edges.
  3. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is slightly browned.







We also had a fun Father's Day.  During the day, we took Tom's dad to Joe's Garage in Riverhead for a fun lunch.  Then we all went to see Godzilla at the movies.  We met up with my dad and my sister-in-law and her family for a Mexican dinner at Don Quixote.  It was fun to celebrate the two dads!



The following weekend it 
was off to Tom's favorite car show, The GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA.  This was my 5th time to this car show. 
 At my very first trip to this show, I got covered in tire rubber at the burnout contest and a toothless, Pennsylvanian car show guy said to me "Is that ruuuuubbber?  as he examined my blackened self.  Too funny!  We had a lot of fun with my sister-in-law and nephew and I know this is one of Tom's favorite days of the year.
















After all of our terrible eating at the fair, we are trying to eat healthier.  Tonight I made Roasted Zucchini Flatbread with Hummus, Argula, Goat Cheese, & Almonds. It was really good and we felt healthy!  You can try it if you visit: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/roasted-zucchini-flatbread-with-hummus-arugula-goat-cheese-and-almonds-recipe.html








Oh and here's a baby sweater I made for one of the teachers I work with!


No comments:

Post a Comment