Sunday, May 4, 2014

Liebster Award & Poppy Seed Bread



My co-worker, fellow blogger, and most importantly friend Katie nominated me for the Liebster Award.  It is given to bloggers with less than 200 followers who want to discover new blogs and add followers to their blogs.  I am so honored that she picked me for this because I am so appreciative of anyone who reads my blog.  I have genuinely enjoyed writing and sharing things in my life and I am so happy that I will have this record of life events to look back on with someday.

So here are the rules that I copy and pasted from Katie's blog:

There's lots of information online about The Liebster award and it's rules but here's the gist of what I have to do:

1. Write a post about the award, thanking the blogger who nominated me! Thanks Katie, you're the best!
2. Post 11 interesting facts about myself.
3.  Answer the 11 questions Katie posted for me!
4.  Nominate 11 bloggers for the award...with 200/500 followers or less!
5.  Post 11 questions for my nominees to answer.

Here are my 11 interesting facts:

1.  I met my husband online and was engaged to him within four months of dating, yet I knew he was "the one" within 6 weeks of dating.  He says he knew I was "the one" on our first date.

2.  Even though we met online, we were already interconnected: his cousin's twins were suppose to be in my Kindergarten class that was starting the September after we met and we realized this on our first date.  Additionally, my mom had been corresponding with his aunt via email years before because they both worked for BOCES.

3.  I am constantly dreaming about owning my own business out East with Tom that is based on life in the North Fork country centered on farming, cooking, baking, and crafting.

4.  I absolutely hate to drive and will only drive on back roads to get everywhere I need to go, including my daily commute to work from Baiting Hollow to Patchogue.

5.  My mom passed away from cancer when I was 19 and she was only 47.  I have created a charity called "Crochet for a Cure" along with my best friend Stevi to raise money for the American Cancer Society each year.

6.  I am in the process of writing a children's chapter book, geared for children in first to third grade.  It is set in a kindergarten classroom and the children in the story are combinations of personalities of my five years of teaching kindergarten combined with my imagination.  Additionally, the dog in the story is based on Tom's childhood beagle, K.C.

7.  I took ice skating lessons as a child and love to call out the jumps and spins when watching the Olympics.  For example, I can tell the difference between a triple axle and a triple loop based on the entry into the jump.

8.  I took a sign language class in high school and then took additional classes at Cleary School for the deaf a few summers.  I still remember a lot of it and like to teach my Kindergartners what I know. Every year they sign "Silent Night" for our school Christmas show.

9.  I would love to someday drive across the country with Tom and see all of the landmarks of the United States (as long as he is the one behind the wheel).

10.  I would love to have a bunch of children someday.  I dream of taking a few years off from teaching to raise a bunch of kids someday.

11.  I truly believe that God has a purpose for all of us and even though I don't always understand why things happen they way they do, I do trust him to guide my life.

Katie's Questions for Me:

1.  What one word best describes you?
Love: I love my life, my husband, my family, my friends, and my kindergartners.  I hope that I give off a lot of love as well.
2.  What's the best advice you ever received, from who?
The best advice I ever received is from my mom.  She also told me to trust, not stress.  Trust in God, trust in myself, and trust in her that everything would always be ok.
3.  What's you're guilty pleasure show? 
Oh my goodness, there are so many.  I love all types of reality TV from 16 and Pregnant, Real Housewives, to Lizard Lick (a repo show Tom has me hooked on).
4.  What's you're biggest pet peeve?
Entitled and complaining children. I encounter a lot of these at work and I just want to encourage them to be pleasant and appreciate the little things in life.  I want more than anything for Tom and I to raise respectful children who appreciate their family.
5.  What is something you never leave home without?
My engagement ring and wedding band.  I always want a piece of Tom with me everywhere I go.  My engagement ring is really important to me because the center stone is the diamond from my mom's engagement ring set in the setting Tom picked out for me.
6.  Name something you treasure.
My mom's wedding ring and my memory bracelet for her.  I wear both on my right hand everyday.
7.  What is your favorite movie?
The Notebook: I am a sap for romance and I pray all the time that Tom and I live to a ripe old age and die together so we won't have to ever be apart.
8.  Morning person or night owl?
Hmm.. lately I feel like neither, I am always tired!  I really struggle to wake up in the morning, but then I fall asleep on the couch watching TV practically every night!  So maybe my best performance is the afternoon lol?
9.  What's your favorite accessory?
Probably any of the sentimental jewelry I mentioned above.
10. What song describes your life at the moment?
"Then" by Brad Paisley.  Tom and I danced to this at our wedding and I really feel it fits my life.  I always think I can't possibly love him more but each day I truly do.  Even with life's ups and downs I wouldn't trade him for anything or anyone in the world.
11. Why did you decide to start blogging?
I wanted a way to share my recipes, especially my mom's, while also documenting my new life on the North Fork with Tom.  I really feel like life is a journey and we don't know how long it will last, so I want to record as much of it as I can.

Nominate 11 Bloggers:

Well, this is a toughie because I don't follow 11 people!  Can I re-nominate you Katie?

1) Katie- http://themishapsandmayhemofsolitarylife.blogspot.com/  Follow my single gal pal and all of the adventures life brings her!

2) Paige- http://lifecoach-paige.blogspot.com/  Follow my friend Paige and her adventures as a working mom and all of the fabulous things she is up to.

3) Kathleen- http://simplesillylife.blogspot.com/ Follow my friend Kathleen and see her cool posts, especially her awesome outfits she puts together!

11 Questions for you:

1.  What is something you are afraid of?
2.  Did you end up in the career you dreamed of as a child?
3.  What is your favorite snack or dessert?
4.  What is the toughest lesson life has taught you?
5.  How do you want to be remembered by your grandchildren?
6.  What do you dislike more: going to the doctor or the dentist?
7.  What is your favorite thing about your sibling (s)?
8.  Do you have a cool skill that most people don't?
9.  If you could travel anywhere where would you go?
10.  Do you have any memories of when you were in Kindergarten?
11. Would you encourage others to start a blog?

In addition to the liebster award, here's what's new at the house.  Tom did a ton of yard work today, he tried out his new "lawn boy" mower, put down weed and feed to hopefully help our yard that is carpeted in dandelions and power washed the house.  I set up my buffet in the dining room finally. 
        
I also baked my mom's poppy seed loaf.  So yummy with a really delicious glaze!  This recipe makes two loaves, but I cut it in half from what is listed here to make just one.

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/8 cup oil
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 TBSP poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp of each of the following: vanilla, butter extract, & almond extract

Mix 1 to 2 minutes with a mixer.  Pour into 2 loaf pans.  Bake at 350 for about an hour.  Poke holes all over the top of the loaf after it has cooled for about 5 minutes.  Pour the glaze on and let it soak into the holes.

Glaze: 
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp of each of the following: vanilla, butter extract, & almond extract



Something about seeing my mom's handwriting always gets me.




Our country stars and Amish table

Finally put my dishes in my buffet in the dining room!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jamie! Can't wait to play and post the answers to your questions on my blog! xo xo

    ReplyDelete